Search News

The Central Bureau of Investigation has approached the Supreme Court seeking its permission to proceed further in the disproportionate assets case against former UP chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav and his family members. The investigating agency has opposed to the reference of matter of registration of a case after conclusion of a preliminary inquiry into the case either to centre or concerned state government.

“Under the circumstances, the applicant (CBI) is approaching this honourable court for an order/direction enabling the applicant to proceed further in the matter without reference to the central government/state government” said CBI.

It further said, “It is submitted that in the event a preliminary enquiry undertaken by CBI discloses commission of offences by the persons concerned, a regular case is registered and investigation in accordance with the law is undertaken. In the matter of registration of a case, the CBI/applicant does not make a reference either to the central government or the state government”.

CBI said that it has concluded its inquiry and is willing to place the status report before the apex court for perusal if necessary.

The investigation agency had completed the preliminary inquiry into the case in pursuance of Supreme Court order. On March 1, 2007, the apex court on a PIL filed by Vishwanath Chaturvedi had asked the CBI to conduct a preliminary inquiry into allegations of disproportionate assets case against Mulayam and his family members. It had asked the investigating agency to place the report before the Central government for further action in the case.

Find Lawyer / Law Firm

Extradition Law in India

Every time an offender stealthily leaves India to take refuge in another country, the Government of India starts all over again with its strategy of bringing him back to the nation to make him stan More

Legal Consultation - Consult over phone, chat or send questions

Helplinelaw can set up your session with quality and experienced lawyers to discuss and resolve your legal matters. You can avail consultation in form of sending questions, phone call or webchat discussion  More