Supreme Court: The enforcement of an injunction order against the legitimate representatives of the ‘judgment-debtor’ is permitted

Search News

In ‘Prabhakara Adiga vs. Gowri’, a division bench of Justices Arun Mishra and Justice Amitava Roy ruled that an injunction order can be enforced against the legitimate representatives of the expired deceased debtor in accordance with the special provisions as outlined under section 50 of the Civil Procedure Code.

The court stated on the demise of the decree holder, his legal representatives or heirs are legally entitled to seek an enforcement of the order from judgment- debtor or his lawful representatives. As the cause and order for injunction exists, it would be a violation of public policy if the legitimate representatives were asked to start the litigation process afresh against the judgment-debtor.The court overturned the order of the Karnataka High Court, which ruled that the permanent injunction order can’t be invoked against the legitimate heirs of the ‘judgment debtor’ as the stay doesn’t travel with land. 

The bench observed that the “Legal representatives of decree holder can execute decree for permanent injunction relating to property or right which is heritable and partible. When such is the situation, in our opinion, it would be open to decree holder to execute decree against successor of interest of judgment-debtor also,”.

Find Lawyer / Law Firm


Legel News 2017

Legel News 2016

Legel News 2015

Legel News 2012

Legel News 2010

Legel News 2009

Legel News 2008

Legel News 2007

Legel News 2004

Corporate Compliance relaxations by MCA, RBI & other agencies due to Covid19 Scenario

In India, the corporates are governed by several different regulators viz. the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (‘MCA’), Reserve Bank of India (‘RBI’), Department for Promotion of Industry and In More

Legal Consultation - Consult over phone, chat or send questions

Helplinelaw can set up your session with quality and experienced lawyers to discuss and resolve your legal matters. You can avail consultation in form of sending questions, phone call or webchat discussion  More